Thanksgiving is coming up and I’ve been trying to perfect my recipe for green bean casserole. It’s not quite ready yet so here’s a substitute to fill in. Even if I nail it this week I probably wouldn’t be able to post it in time for Thanksgiving. Forgive me.
I think I’ve only specified what size shrimp to use only once in my past recipes — it’s the Lemony Garlic and Herb Shrimp. Just like with that recipe, I think it’s better to use larger size shrimp for this one as it looks better on the plate. Jumbo size shrimp count is typically 21-25 per lb.
For the Pasta
• ½ lb fettuccine or linguine pasta
• 1 tbsp kosher salt
1) Bring a pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add salt and pasta, give it a stir. Cook to al dente according to package directions. Before draining pasta, save ¼ cup of pasta water; set aside.
For the Sauce
• 1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 4 tbsp unsalted butter
• 8 oz white button mushrooms, sliced
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• ½ cup heavy cream
• ¼ cup whole milk ricotta
• 1 egg yolk, beaten
• 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated
• 1 tsp kosher salt, divided use
• ¹⁄8 tsp + ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
• Italian flat-leaf parsley for garnish
1) Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add shrimp, season with ¼ tsp salt and ¹⁄8 tsp pepper. Toss shrimp around then arrange in a single layer. Cook each side just until it starts to turn pink, about 1 to 1½ minute per side. Transfer shrimp to a plate.
2) Add mushrooms to the same pan and cook for 3 minutes, tossing occasionally. Add garlic, continue to cook for 1 minute.
3) Add butter, heavy cream, and ricotta. Stir around until butter and ricotta are melted. Turn off the heat.
4) Temper the egg yolk by gradually adding a little bit of the alfredo sauce to the yolk while whisking constantly. Add the tempered yolk to the sauce. Turn the heat on to low and stir around.
5) Add the shrimp and half of the cheese, stir until cheese is melted.
6) Add pasta, ¾ tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper; toss to coat. Add the rest of the cheese and reserved pasta water, continue to toss until everything is well combined. Turn off the heat.
◘ tip: Do not toss for too long. Once the sauce/cheese starts to get stringy, turn off the heat.
7) Garnish with parsley leaves and serve.